Surrey is still - surprising to some - among the most wooded of English counties. The centuries-old use of native timber in building remains visible in church towers and the greater and lesser houses of the Weald.
Wooden floors continue this great building tradition. Practical, durable and beautiful, they have stood the test of
time. Old or new, they are often an undervalued asset - neglected, damaged and covered over. They repay being restored to their best – through floor sanding, staining and sealing.
Old layers of varnish or paint can be removed and given a modern finish. The liberated floor will prove a wonderful investment to enhance your floor sanding home.
This is a job for the professional and not the well-meaning amateur.
Call on Sanding Wood Floors for the complete floor renovation service throughout Guildford and West Surrey:
* set prices to meet your budget
* the best advice on repairs, restoration and sealing
* friendly, efficient teams working to the highest standards
* modern machinery producing minimal mess and disruption.
* maintenance tips and advice for your restored floor
Please phone us FREE on 08000 076 076 or email for a no obligation quote.
Useful facts about Guildford:
Guildford is the county town of Surrey, England and the seat for the borough of Guildford. It is situated 27 miles (43 km) southwest of London on the A3 trunk road mid-way between the capital and Portsmouth. The town has Saxon roots and probably owes its location to the existence of a gap in the North Downs where the River Wey is forded by the Harrow Way. The town's access was sufficient that by 978 AD it was home to an early English Royal Mint. On the building of the Wey Navigation and Basingstoke Canal Guildford was connected to a network of waterways that aided its prosperity. In the 20th century, the University of Surrey and its only cathedral, an Anglican cathedral, were added.
The root of the first part may be gold rather than Guild, a society or meeting of tradesmen: the only known 10th century (Saxon) record uses Guldeford and in the 11th century Geldeford both meaning gold and ford. Local historians on toponyms cite the lack of gold in the region’s sedimentary rocks and have suggested that this gold may refer to golden flowers by the ford, or the golden sand; several older sources such as Lewis's topological dictionary of 1848 prefer and give an unreferenced assertion there was a guild. There is an old coaching Inn on the Epsom Road previously called the 'Sanford Arms' may derives from 'Sand Ford', adding weight to the suggestion that the first part of Guildford and its many historic predecessors may refer to the very distinctive golden sand showing on the banks of the River Wey where it cuts through the sandy outcrop just south of the town.
During World War II, the Borough Council built 18 communal air raid shelters. One of these shelters, known as the Foxenden Quarry deep shelter, was built into the side of a disused chalk quarry. Taking a year to build, it comprised two main tunnels with interconnecting tunnels for the sleeping bunks. It could accommodate 1000 people and provided sanitation and first aid facilities. Having been sealed since decommissioning in 1944, it has survived fairly intact. The quarry itself is now the site of the York Road car park, but the shelter is preserved and open once a year to the public. In May 1968 students at Guildford School of Art began a "sit-in" at the School in Stoke Park which lasted until mid-summer.
Copyright 2021 © www.sanding-wood-floors.co.uk | All Rights reserved.